Monday, June 1, 2009

Strollerbago Walk to Walgreens

We had Kaitlyn and Ann spend the night last night because Tina and Dave were in Hawaii for business. Well, I guess Dave was there on business...Tina got to relax! Anyway, Sandy, Kurt and Morgan brought the girls over at about 5 pm last night and we all had dinner. Shawn and I caught a glimpse of what daily dinners were going to be like in a year or two. Boy was it LOUD! Kaitlyn, Bridget, Morgan and Ann were all talking, yelling, singing and copying each other. I'm sure they were all excited to see each other, but darn it if they can't burst your ear drum! 

After dinner they needed some outside play time. So Kurt and I supervised KBAM while Sandy and Shawn stayed in and supervised HLM. I had fun watching the girls play. They rode vehicles: bikes, trikes, caterpillars, scooters, cars and trucks. They drew with chalk. They tried to hit the wiffle ball. They played on the slide. They had running races pretending to be all sorts of different animals. Twas nice. 

This morning, Holly was up at 5 am wanting milk. She's usually the late sleeper, so I was kind of bummed. I stayed up late, and was dragging at 5 am. Good thing she's a fast eater, b/c we were both back asleep by 5:20. The 5 other kids all woke up at about 7:30. I managed to get KBA fed and dressed before Tina and Dave came to pick them up at 8:30. 

Shawn is in Washington DC today and he took the van to the airport, so I'm sorta stranded at home. I decided it looked pretty nice outside and figured I'd take the kids for a walk to Walgreens. It's not that far from our house, and the weatherman said it was supposed to rain all day, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky right now. takes me maybe 20 minutes to change diapers, and load everyone into the stroller. Still not a cloud in the sky. We get going, and all the babies seem content. Bridget is having fun finding things of every color of the rainbow. All's well. I get to the Walgreens parking lot and remembered that I didn't bring my debit card! The only way to rent a movie is with a credit/debit card, and I just grabbed a handful of cash as I left the house! No rental for me today! Bummer!

Oh well! Let's make the best of this! We'll go see what Walgreens has to offer inside the store. Uh, wait, the stroller's not making it through the door! At least I'm not holding anyone up. Ok, let's back up and try this again. It looks like I SHOULD fit through the door. Yep! Sure can, but it's a tight squeeze. Those wheels have to be perfectly aligned to fit through the door.  Once inside, everyone's checking out the  huge blue stroller gang roaming the aisles of Walgreens. Some were brave enough to make a comment too. "You sure are busy, aren't you?" "Wow, that's a lot of kids." Ok, I'm getting used to the comments now, and I'm getting used to ignoring them too!

So what did we end up getting? A 30 pack of black/blue/red pens was on clearance for $1.52 (I think).  I bought a pack of these pens when they were $3 and I thought that was a steal. Shawn thought they'd be really crappy pens, but they're not. They write really smoothly! I also picked up a 30 pack of mechanical pencils for $3. We'll see if they're as good as the pens. I got a wrist teether thingy for one of the babies. Then I needed a drink, and I got B a pack of Skittles since she had been behaving most of the morning. 

When we leave the store, I notice a huge patch of black clouds to the west of us. OH NO! Wonder if I can walk faster than the weather will travel?!?! Bridget wants to walk instead of ride, and I'm ok with that since I want to tire her out, but she does slow us down a bit. After just a short amount of time, B decides she wants in the stroller because she can't seem to walk and eat Skittles simultaneously. Yeay, that works out well, since off in the distance B and I both hear the thunder rolling. So now that everyone's in the stroller, I really start to power walk. The thunder is getting louder and louder, and I haven't even reached the entrance to our subdivision. Let me tell you, pushing that stroller with 60+ lbs. of babies in it is quite a workout!

When we get to our block, we begin to see flashes of lightning. It looks like we'll make it though before the rain comes down. I get to the garage, and now I have to unload everyone. Holly first because she's beginning to fuss. B stays in the garage watching the other two. I put Holly in her crib, and grab Liam next. He's a happy boy as usual. He LOVED the walk. Got him in fine. As I'm coming down the stairs to get Megan, I feel the first raindrop. I tell B to make her way to the house as more rain starts falling. She's a bit reluctant b/c of the rain, but I tell her, "I'm carrying Megan in, you have to go up the stairs by yourself." So she does. And Megan and I only get a bit wet on our way inside. But no more than a minute later and it really starts to downpour. Really big drops too! I thought it was hail at first, but it was just really big drops. 

Whew! We made it! Everyone's down for a nap. Holly's still fussing, I can hear her playing with her kangaroo toy. Bridget's laying in her bed watching the Jungle Book on my iPhone. I hate using the TV to babysit her, but sometimes Mama just needs a nap too! I'm glad Shawn's only gone for 2 days, because I'm exhausted already!

No comments: