Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Triplets: Day 2 in the hospital

Well, today Chicagoland was hit with some pretty nasty weather, which effected how our day went. Also, St. Joe's maternity floor was completely booked. They were telling the ladies scheduled to be induced to reschedule, because there were no available rooms.

We had the babies in our room from 6:30 am until 11 pm. That's a good thing, because it means that the babies are healthy and have no issues. It was also good for Shawn and I because at some point we have to convince ourselves that we can handle all three on our own. Because of the weather, we had no visitors today. That was good because we had to do everything on our own, but it was bad because there were several times we found ourselves actually bored. We considered downloading the Uno app on our iPhones so we could play Uno against each other. This is also when I got photos uploaded, and most of the blog updated, etc. Anyway, the babies were easy to take care of. They slept, then we'd feed and change them, and they'd go back to sleep. They're eating every 3-4 hours, so even if feeding them took 1.5 hours, we had a lot of down time to do our own thing. 

One fun thing that happened was that my doctor stopped by in his street clothes and with his 3 year old daughter. He wanted to show his daughter the triplets. She was so cute! And he was cute telling her, "All three of those babies came from Arlene!" and I said, "And your daddy was the one who took them out of me." She took her time looking at each bassinet "oohing" and "ahhing". I messed up though, I should have let her hold a baby, but I didn't think of offering to let her do that until after they had left. She would have loved that...just like Bridget loved holding Holly. 

My goal for the day was to get "unplugged" from everything and to be up and walking around. I went wireless before 11 am then took a shower after that. By 2 pm, I was walking the halls of the maternity ward. I felt like an 80 year old lady, walking somewhat bent over, but I forced myself to keep going because I knew the more I got around, the better I would feel. I had to take at least 4 walks, and that was no problem. Well, the only problem was that my too big Crocs were now too small because my feet and legs were so swollen. Good thing Shawn brought sandals with him. It was a tight squeeze, but I was able to make do with his sandals. Even my own socks were a tight fit. The heel of my sock was on the bottom of my foot! That's how swollen my feet are!

Later on, Shawn stopped by the house to pick up a few things, and I was on my own. While he was gone, I took photos of each baby in their cute preemie clothes from Aunt Mary (Morris). 

Photos from today are posted on My Mobile Me Gallery. Anna I made a video of the babies, especially for you!

No comments: